Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sky Diving is like Dying.



Ok, so the day that I woke up to go sky diving I was soooo nervous. The thought of jumping out of a plane sent me to the bathroom three times and kept my hands extremely moist throughout the day. I even thought of backing out for a split second. Then, I realized if I didn't do it I would always regret it. So I made a decision. I would do what I always do during difficult or stressful times, I wouldn't think about it.

I decided to just get dressed, then I just went to the store to get champagne, after that I was just driving. My whole day continued like this. Just a series of extraordinary moments and everytime I would get the thought of impending doom I would just focus back on the present.

Ok, now back to my original point. How is this like death? Well, everyone of us knows we are going to die but we don't think about it. Then, the day finally comes when death is at the door. We know its close. Again, the "thought" of it could send us to the bathroom lk 20 times and keep 100 peoples hands moist for 20 years. With sky diving your thinking "what if the shoot doesn't open?, what if the clips that are holding me to the guy with the shoot snap, what if it hurts???"...When a person is close to death, they think, "what if it hurts, will my family be ok, Im not ready..."

Ok, so now it's time to jump out of the plane, how did you get 13,000 feet in front of an open door? Easy, you just kept putting one foot in front of the other. When the moment finally comes, I swear to you, you don't even remember jumping. You are just free, at peace, filled with happines,exhilaration, adrenaline, calm. I imagine this is what dying is like.

With sky diving there is a strong attachment to the ground, and in death there is a strong attachment to the living. In both cases, if you can release the attachments you open yourself up for an amazing opportunithy for growth and change.

One day you just die. Will you be the person who fought anxiously every step of the way? Or will you just suck it up, enjoy the present, plant one foot confidently in front of the other, jump and enjoy the ride? I hope that like in skydiving when the time comes for me to go I can just jump with my eyes and heart wide open knowing I enjoyed every moment, kiss, touch, sound, hug and tear.

-to my mama bear who has taught me how to LIVE...and who makes every hug the best;)

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! Thanks for that !! I'm really scared of diving. Everyone tells me I'm a irresponsible mother for choosing to do this but it's something that I have been wanting to do for such a long time =) I'm going to do it hopefully in September. I hope my experience is just as great as yours !!

    ReplyDelete